Monday, July 14, 2008

The Eyes Have It!

Well...no, actually the EYE has it. Specifically, the left eye. MY left eye. And "it" is a flare-up of a long-standing infection, blepharitis. I get it occasionally, but it's been quite a while and I didn't recognize the onset. Of course, could this happen when I have a respite from tours, or no plans to see anyone, or - you know, like that?

But it never works like that; this afternoon I am doing my "Manners, Mending and Morals" program at a senior center. This involves dressing in my hoopskirts, adopting the persona of Hattie Fairchild, the refined unmarried distant cousin of Governor Lucius Fairchild, and discussing -- well, all the stuff in the title, circa 19th century.

And guess what? Hattie has the same hideous ...uhm... grotesque ...err... unsightly anomaly I have. (In case you've never seen it, think red, swollen lids and squinty eye.) So I'll use my compresses and eyedrops and scrubs (of course, if I do it too much, it'll make it redder - OY) and hope for the best. I have a lot to talk about otherwise (a trip to Old World Wisconsin, the Concert on the Square, a Theatre Blitz and La Fete de Marquette...all venues for knitting, might I add, and documented thenkyewverymosch) - but right now I have to soak my eyeball and study my notes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hope it clears up quickly.

Kitty Mommy said...

Ooohhh! Hope you're feeling better and looking less squinty and red-eyed very soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor baby. I say you need to curl up with a kitty or fuzzy thing of choice and make someone feed you until you feel better.

Jane said...

Have a very quick recovery!

Anonymous said...

I too get the same eyeball disease and, once it gets under control, I lapse back into poor self care habits. I forget to soak and scrub, I forget to put ointment on, last thing before sleep (for heaven's sake, I have been reading or knitting, now I'm tired, I don't want to do another thing.Zzzzzzzz.
My favorite treatment is a white tube sock filled with rice (real rice, not minute rice) and microwaved for one minute. It stays hot for a long time and it conforms to the shape of your eye pits. Now I just need a bedside microwave. (It can be used over and over unless you leave it on the bed and your dog decides to chew it open and then there's rice all over the bed.)