Sunday, August 24, 2008

Farewell, fluffy Figaro.....


Yep, it's true, the kitty's family saw one of our posters and telephoned today. (Probably should've allowed the Lovely Daughter to sort of ... collect them ... on her way home Friday night after visiting to meet the Foundling.)

We had decided a full week would be appropriate; I was thinking we'd take them down tomorrow.

Turns out he belongs to a family just two doors down. Mr Dearling went over to their house after they called, and the kids came back with him: cute nine-year-old twin girls (they said actually their ninth birthdays are tomorrow!) and their thirteen-year-old brother. They were very polite, and admired Evangeline ("She's really beautiful!"). They thanked us for giving him such good care.

We showed them how to give him his eye ointment for the infection, and gave him the carrier we'd bought (pointing out that they'd need a bigger one before too long - it was too small, we discovered!) We gave them the medicine, the box of Kitten Food we'd gotten for him and the statement from the vet declaring him in perfect health, free from fleas or earmites and negative for Feline Leukemia.

We really stressed that the first thing they should do is take him for his ittybittybit removal. The girls had no idea what I was talking about, so I pointed out that if he didn't have that operation, eventually he might start spraying, which is not pleasant (to say the least).

On the envelope containing the statements, Mr Dearling wrote that he should be getting his kitten shots and spayed. I told the kids that the Shelter offers surgery at a very reduced rate.

They also said they didn't have a vet ("they never called back") so we gave them our vet's card. Her office is very close by, and she's fabulous. Seems he had come free from someone who lives on a farm.

They said we were welcome to come visit him any time we want to....and we're going to stop in occasionally for the next few days to see how his eye is doing. And if he's six months old, time's awasting for his spaying.

We tried to show him to Evangeline and Lilliane tonight (before they called) and suffice it to say they were not enthusiastic. But we do know how to introduce, and that it takes a pretty long time. The truth? We're sad. We were prepared to slowly introduce him, and were going to make his vet appointment for this week. While his family is lovely, the kids were polite and seemed really glad to see him, and so on -- I, of course, feel like NO ONE could care for him as well as we do. (Which is punk and I know it.) We will keep an eye on him for a bit, and can only assume that this is how it was to have been.

To the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee: y'all are true and genuine saints, I admire you 100 times more than I did, and I wouldn't have believed that possible. Also - Evangeline has NOTHING in common (personality-wise) with Charlene Butterbean.

We will now resume regularly-scheduled programming.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Sad that he has to go ... but do stay in touch and follow up on that ... thing.

Molly Bee said...

Awww...I'm sad Tutter had to go back to his home. I'm glad you will get to visit and keep and eye on his eye! Are you coming to Charity night at the Sow's Ear tonight? Goes from ?? to 8:30 and we generally have a pot luck supper. (I'm just going to stop at Millers and pick something desserty up I think. Last time we had pizza).

Anonymous said...

Oh...sort of happy that his family found him but almost sad that he won't be staying with you...hope his family take good care of him and really hope they get him spayed soon :)

One sentence in your entry really struck a note with me...I also feel that NO ONE could care for our kitties and love them the way we do :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry DH. That's sad news.

Anonymous said...

Sorry DH. That's sad news.

dale-harriet said...

{le sigh} All true, my friends, too true. But at least he's very close by, and we absolutely mean to keep an eye on his little self. (Dare I say it? I think if nothing else *we* would offer to take him to the Shelter for his ittybitty bit-removal; it's only $25 there, because they even have a Catch-Neuter-Release program for ferals). And y'all make me feel better too. (Dare I say...Evangeline looks guardedly relieved?)

janna said...

Awww..... well, I guess it's for the best, but I was looking forward to him sticking around...

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I jinxed you! I just kept thinking that a kitty that sweet had to belong to someone...dang it. You did warn them, that if it showed up at your doorstep again, that you weren't going to tell anyone, right?