Saturday, June 14, 2008

Reddest of Letter Days!

First - may I wish a HAPPIEST of BIRTHDAYS to Stephanie, the Yarn Harlot . It is her 40th birthday and I'm not the only one who pointed out to her (and so I say to YOU, where appropriate) that turning 40 is the true beginning of the Best Years of your life. I've heard it said that high school is the best. Man, it wasn't for your geeky, nerdy, ballet-dancing kidstory-writing homely egg-head Blogger who once *almost* went to read a historical story under the covers...by candlelight, for ambience. NO, I didn't do it. Duuuuh....

As we Metis people of New France say in this our year of 1748-- JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE, CHERE COEUR!

Furthermore, today is WORLD-WIDE KNIT IN PUBLIC DAY, so I beseech you, turn off your laptops, your computers, your gizmos-that-you-see-the-innerwebs-on (when you're done reading this post, thenk yew) and take your knitting and go stand on a street corner or sit in a mall or knit in a lunchroom or at a bus stop or at a red light (hold it up high so everyone can see what you're doing). We are *representing*, not only all of us clever men and women plying our needles today, but that long tunnel back into time of knitters.

The earliest image I've ever seen of knitting is the 13th century depiction of the Virgin Mary knitting a tee-tiny sweater on DPNs; I tried to put a copy here, but I haven't gotten to that chapter in "Stealing Images off the Internet for Your Own Selfish Use". You're probably familiar with it. Anyway, we're representing Her too.

I'm rushing off to The Sow's Ear, with a) one sock; b) a shawl; c) needles and wool to cast on for an A4A rectangular shawl; "Rectangular Shawls for Afghani Mothers" and last, but not least - d) yarn and needles to cast on for a Dr. Who scarf. (Yes, I am going to prowl around on Ravelry in regards to same, too.) Call me a glutton for punishment -- I finally get caught up on toques (not so much in demand in the summertime anyway) and what do I do? Commit myself to a two-mile long scarf. "Commit" might be just what I need........hmmm, good idea! Quiet surroundings, no distractions - but I'd start singing old filk songs and wind up in a jolly jacket. No, I'll stay home, thx. I'll report back later with photographic evidence. KNIT ON, PEEPS!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't be out in public today so no KIP for me. I am, however, probably going to babysit for a neighbor's 7- or 8-yo daughter. Maybe she needs to learn to knit ;-)

janna said...

I had planned on KIPing today, but instead spent the morning escaping Iowa's floodwaters and getting to my Mom's....

dale-harriet said...

Oooh, ladies - well, consider yourself "knitted-in-public-for"! I happily accept the position of having Knitted for y'all too. (Janna, everything OK? My worry-sensors are chafed raw from all this flooding; hope you're now safe and dry.....

shandy said...

I'm fascinated by your view on knitting in public historically. When we see pictures of women going about their chores and knitting at the same time do we not assume it was slave labour? Are you protesting about that or celebrating it?

Anonymous said...

Saw Prince Caspian and then out to dinner with Z-- lovely, thank you :) and knitted before dinner arrived and after (since I eat too quickly and Z was still enjoying her food). Never got to the official KIP site at the beach. But I did my bit for KIP! Hugz!

Anonymous said...

Another great post. Keep 'em comin!

Yarnhog said...

I didn't remember that it was KIP day, but I did KIP nonetheless--at karate, waiting for my kids. No one batted an eyelash, probably because I've done it every Saturday morning for years. :)